Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rango Was Off The Chain!


By Stella Cole, Top Critic
Hollywood, California

Animated films about animals can go one of two ways: They either become instant classics (think Lion King or All Dogs Go To Heaven) or they’re big steaming piles of poo (like Barnyard, Chicken Little, or all those awful Land Before Time sequels). Usually, the cuter the onscreen doodles are, the more painfully trite the story is. So when I saw just how ugly and frightening the characters in Rango are, I knew I was in for some fun.

Now I’m almost 8 years old, which is 56 for humans, so I’m no young pup. And it’s a good thing too, because Rango is definitely the most mature animal flick I’ve seen in a long time. It’s about a domesticated chameleon who loses his free ride after his owner’s car hits a pothole. Stuck in the middle of the desert, Rango has to adapt to survive. He finds himself in a Wild West shantytown with some of the most bizarre desert creatures you’ve seen on the big screen. In between making friends (and a few enemies), Rango uses his natural Chameleon talents to convince the severely dehydrated townspeople that he’s their savior. And then he’s got to deliver!

Between the high-octane adventures and the gorgeous desert scenery, Rango is chock full of existential dilemma. Who are we? What is our purpose? How does a Chameleon even begin to define his own identity? The film explores all of these questions, and more, through some totally trippy hallucination sequences, and a divine-being known only as the Spirit of the West.

Summary: Rango really reminded me of the time I ate some funny mushrooms growing in our old backyard. I think I’ll eat some more when it comes out on DVD.
Rating: 5/5 Wags

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruff Crowd: Movie Reviews For Dogs, By Dogs - Blogged EatonWeb Blog Directory